Starbeamrainbowlabs

Stardust
Blog

Generating word searches for fun and profit

(Above: A Word search generated with the tool below)

A little while ago I was asked about generating a wordsearch in a custom shape. I thought to myself "someone has to have built this before...", and while I was right to an extent, I couldn't find one that let you use any shape you liked.

This, of course, was unacceptable! You've probably guessed it by now, but I went ahead and wrote my own :P

While I wrote it a little while ago, I apparently never got around to posting about it on here.

In short, it works by using an image you drop into the designated area on the page as the shape the word search should take. Each pixel is a single cell of the word search - with the alpha channel representing whether or not a character is allowed to be placed there (transparent means that it can't contain a character, and opaque means that it can).

Creating such an image is simple. Personally, I recommend Piskel or GIMP for this purpose.

Once done, you can start building a wordlist in the wordlist box at the right-hand-side. It should rebuild the word search as soon as you click out of the box. If it doesn't, then you've found a bug! Please report it here.

With the word search generated, you can use the Question Sheet and Answer Sheet links to open printable versions for export.

You can find my word search generator here:

I've generated a word search of the current tags in the tag cloud on this blog too: Question Sheet [50.3KiB], Answer Sheet [285.6KiB]

The most complicated part of this was probably the logistics behind rude word removal. Thankfully, I did't have to find and maintain such a list of words, as the futility npm package does this for me, but algorithmically guaranteeing that by censoring 1 rude word another is not accidentally created in another direction is a nasty problem.

If you're interested in a more technical breakdown of one (or several!) particular aspects of this - let me know! While writing about all of it would probably make for an awfully long post, a specific aspect or two should be more manageable.

In the future, I'll probably revisit this and add additional features to it, such as the ability to restrict which directions words are placed in, for example. If you've got a suggestion of your own, open an issue (or even better, open a pull request :D)!

Tag Cloud

3d account algorithms android announcement architecture archives arduino artificial intelligence artix assembly async audio backups bash batch blog bookmarklet booting c sharp c++ challenge chrome os code codepen coding conundrums coding conundrums evolved command line compilers compiling compression css dailyprogrammer debugging demystification distributed computing documentation downtime electronics email embedded systems encryption es6 features event experiment external first impressions future game github github gist gitlab graphics hardware hardware meetup holiday holidays html html5 html5 canvas infrastructure interfaces internet io.js jabber jam javascript js bin labs learning library linux lora low level lua maintenance manjaro network networking nibriboard node.js operating systems performance photos php pixelbot portable privacy problem solving programming problems projects prolog protocol protocols pseudo 3d python reddit redis reference releases resource review rust searching secrets security series list server software sorting source code control statistics storage svg technical terminal textures three thing game three.js tool tutorial twitter ubuntu university update updates upgrade version control virtual reality virtualisation visual web website windows windows 10 xmpp xslt

Archive

Art by Mythdael