Website Integrations #1: Open Graph
These days, if you share a link to a website or a blog post with a friend or on a social networking site, sometimes the link expands to a preview of the link you've just posted. Personally, I find this behaviour to be quite helpful, as it lets me get an idea as to what it is that I'm about to click on.
Unfortunately, when it comes to the code behind these previews, there are no less than 3(!) different protocols that you need to implement in order to get it to work, since facebook, twitter, and the rest of the web community haven't been talking to each other quite like they should have been.
Anyway, after implementing these 3 protocols and having a bit of trouble with them, I thought I'd write up a mini-series on the process I went through, the problems I encountered, and how I solved them. In this post, I'm going to explain Facebook's Open Graph protocol.
I decided that I'd implement these 3 protocols on my home page and each blog post's page. Open Graph was the easiest - all it requires is a bunch of meta tags. These tags are split into 2 parts - the common tags, which all page types should have, and the type-specific tags, which depend on the type of page you're implementing them on. Here's the list of common tags I implemented:
og:title- The title of your page
og:description- A short description of your page
og:image:secure_url- The url of an image that would fit as a preview for the page
og:url- The url of the page (not sure why this is required, since you have to know the url in order to require the page... :P Perhaps it's to help with deduplication - I'm not sure)
These were fairly easy for my home page:
<meta property="og:title" content="Starbeamrainbowlabs" /> <meta property="og:description" content="Hi! I am a computer science student who is in their second year at Hull University. I started out teaching myself about various web technologies, and then I managed to get a place at University, where I am now." /> <meta property="og:image" content="http://starbeamrainbowlabs.com/favicon.png" /> <meta property="og:image:url" content="http://starbeamrainbowlabs.com/favicon.png" /> <meta property="og:image:secure_url" content="https://starbeamrainbowlabs.com/favicon.png" /> <meta property="og:url" content="https://starbeamrainbowlabs.com/" />
When I went to test it using Facebook's official testing tool, the biggest problem I had was that the image wouldn't show up - no matter what I did. I eventually found this stackoverflow answer which explained that Facebook doesn't support https urls in anything other than the
og:image:secure_url meta tag (even though they say they do) - so changing the urls to regular http solved the problem.
Next, I took a look at the type-specific tags. There's a whole bunch of them (check out this section of the spec) - I decided on the
profile type for the index page of my website here:
<meta property="og:type" content="profile" />
profile type has a few extra specific meta tags that need setting too, so I added those:
<meta property="profile:first_name" content="Starbeamrainbowlabs" /> <meta property="profile:last_name" content="Tjovik" /> <meta property="profile:username" content="Starbeamrainbowlabs" />
With that done, I turned my attention to my blog posts. Since the page is rendered in PHP (and typing out all those meta tags was a rather annoying), I created a teensy little framework to output the meta tags for me
$metaTags = ; $metaTags["property"] = "value"; $renderedMetaTags = ""; foreach($metaTags as $metaKey => $metaValue) $renderedMetaTags .= "\t<meta property=\"$metaKey\" content=\"$metaValue\" />";
Now I can add as many meta tags as I like, with a fraction of the typing - and it looks neater too :D With that done, I implemented the basic meta tags. Here's some example output from the last post:
<meta property="og:title" content="4287 Reasons why your comments weren't posted" /> <meta property="og:description" content="I don't get a lot of real comments on here from what I can tell, as you've probably noticed. I don't particularly mind (though it's always awesome whe.... (click to read more)" /> <meta property="og:image" content="http://starbeamrainbowlabs.com/blog/images/20170406-Spammer-Mistakes.png" /> <meta property="og:image:url" content="http://starbeamrainbowlabs.com/blog/images/20170406-Spammer-Mistakes.png" /> <meta property="og:image:secure_url" content="https://starbeamrainbowlabs.com/blog/images/20170406-Spammer-Mistakes.png" /> <meta property="og:url" content="https://starbeamrainbowlabs.com/blog/article.php?article=posts%2F228-4287-Reasons-Your-Comments-Were-Not-Posted.html" />
That wasn't too tough. Next, I looked at the list of types again, and chose the
article type for my blog posts.
<meta property="og:type" content="article" />
profile type earlier, the
article type also comes with a few type-specific meta tags (what they mean by not fitting into a 'vertical' I have no idea). I decided not to implement all the type-specific meta tags available here, since not all of them were practical to implement. Here's some more example output for the new tags:
<meta property="article:author" content="https://starbeamrainbowlabs.com/" /> <meta property="article:published_time" content="2017-04-08T12:56:46+01:00" />
Unfortunately, the article published time is really awkward to get hold of actually (even though it's outputted at the bottom of every article) , so I went with the 'last modified' time instead. The published time is marked up with html microdata Hopefully it doesn't cause too many issues later - though I can always change it :P
With that (and a final test), it looked like my Open Graph implementation was working as intended. Next time, I'll show you how I implemented a simple oEmbed provider.