Starbeamrainbowlabs

Stardust
Blog


Archive


Mailing List Articles Atom Feed Comments Atom Feed Twitter Reddit Facebook

Tag Cloud

3d account algorithms android announcement architecture archives arduino artificial intelligence artix assembly async audio automation backups bash batch blog bookmarklet booting bug hunting c sharp c++ challenge chrome os code codepen coding conundrums coding conundrums evolved command line compilers compiling compression css dailyprogrammer data analysis debugging demystification distributed computing documentation downtime electronics email embedded systems encryption es6 features ethics event experiment external first impressions future game github github gist gitlab graphics hardware hardware meetup holiday holidays html html5 html5 canvas infrastructure interfaces internet interoperability io.js jabber jam javascript js bin labs learning library linux lora low level lua maintenance manjaro network networking nibriboard node.js operating systems performance photos php pixelbot portable privacy problem solving programming problems project projects prolog protocol protocols pseudo 3d python reddit redis reference releases resource review rust searching secrets security series list server software sorting source code control statistics storage svg talks technical terminal textures three thing game three.js tool tutorial twitter ubuntu university update upgrade version control virtual reality virtualisation visual web website windows windows 10 xmpp xslt

Atom Feed Optimisations (and bugfixes)

Hello again!

I have made a few tweaks to this blog's feed that I think that you might want to know about.

Firstly, I fixed the bug with the named html entities breaking the feed. Apparently XML doesn't like named html entities much. This has involved a number of tweaks to atom.gen.php - You will see that the script is now ~30kb(!) - this is due to the inclusion of a named html entity to numeric html entity conversion table. You will now also see (?) if an unknown named html entity couldn't be converted successful.

Secondly, I have improved the performance of the feed by only showing the last 15 posts in the feed. I didn't notice at first, but this has been slowing the server down for some time because it been adding every post I have made so far (62 for those of you who are counting) to the feed, every time someone requests it.

Hopefully these changes don't have any unintended side-effects, but if they do please let me know in the comments below.

Stardust Update: Email Notifications

Welcome to another blog update.

Yesterday I added email notifications to the blog comments. You may have noticed that there is an extra optional field for you to put your email address in when commenting. If you do so, anybody who replies to your comment will trigger an email notification which will go to the email address that you specified.

Currently the only method I have for you to unsubscribe from these emails is to email emails at starbeamrainbowlabs dot com, and I will process your request manually. Make sure that you include a copy of the email that you don't want anymore, since it contains information about the comment that you posted that I will have to edit. In the future I hope to have an automated system that you will be able to use.

If you notice any issues with this, please leave a comment below.

The other thing that I added is email notifications for myself. Now, every time somebody comments on my blog I will receive an email notification telling me about it. This is mainly because I forgot to check for new comments - you should receive a reply to your comment much faster now :)

Tag Cloud Update

Today (after lots of code tweaking in preparation), the tag clouds that recently appeared on the blog now have links on each tag so you can see which posts havethat particular tag. Currently, the Next Page and Pevious Page links are a little bit buggy, but that problem should be fixed sooner or later, I just need to make a few more changes to the code to make it more intelligent.

Edit: The Next Page and Previou Page buttons have been fixed! I have also added First Page and Last Page butttons too - the last page button was the reason it took to long to refactor the code :)

Tag Clouds

Yesterday I added a tag cloud to the website. You can find it at the top of the blog, or below the post on the article view. The tags are not yet linked to a list of posts that have the corresponding tags, as I need to some a litttle bit of refactoring of the blog's code in order to get that to work.

Friday Afternoon Downtime

Midafternoon today, starbeamrainbowlabs.com was down. The reason for this is unclear, but it seems that this site's hosting provider, OVH, was doing some maintenance. The site was down for 29 minutes.

Lessons Learned

Get your server to notify you during the shutdown / startup sequences

Using a service like Uptime Robot is great to monitor your website's uptime, but it is a much better idea to have your server send you an email when your server goes down. That way you will know whether the server got a chance to shut down correctly or not.

Backup often, and before / after major changes

You should take a backup (preferably automated) often - I have a scritp set to do this every week - but you should also backup before and after any major changes that you make.

Art by Mythdael